Friday, August 2, 2013

10 Things You Should Say to a Grieving Parent

I've often heard people say that they don't know what to say to a parent that has lost a child. So I've come up with a list to help you with that!
  1. "I'm very sorry for your loss." It is important to acknowledge their loss. The first time you see a parent after their child dies, it is important that you acknowledge their loss with a simple statement like this. And depending on your relationship with them, a hug may also be appropriate. Do not act like nothing happened. I had a few good friends that saw me for the first time after Carter's death, and said absolutely nothing about it. They acted like nothing happened. That was extremely hurtful. I had just experienced an incredible, life-altering loss, a huge change to my family dynamic, and they tried to "carry on" with our friendship as if nothing happened. These friends did not intend to cause me hurt. I believe that they did not know what to say, so they chose to not say anything at all. Please do not do this! Always acknowledge a person's loss!
  2. "I don't know what to say." I had one friend say this to me the first time she saw me after Carter passed away. I greatly appreciated her honesty. She wanted to say something to me, but didn't know what to say, and so she simply admitted that! It really meant a lot to me. It's okay to admit that we don't know what to say!
  3. "I love you." Three words that mean so much! It's always good to tell someone you love them! (As long as you mean it!)
  4. "I care about you." Once again, this is always a good thing to say! A grieving person needs to know that you really do care.
  5. "I'm praying for you." If you are praying for them, tell them! And if you're not a praying person, don't say this. Instead say, "I'm thinking of you." We have some friends that are not Christians, and they would often tell us that they were thinking of us. I always appreciated their truthfulness.
  6. "I miss them." If you genuinely miss their child, share that with them! Every parent wants to know that others miss their child too!
  7. "I remember your child..." Parents love to know that their child is remembered by others, especially those outside the family. Grieving parents often fear that their child may be forgotten. If you have a special memory of the child, share it with the parents! If you remember something funny or insightful that the child said, share this with them too! If you find it difficult to share the story with them in person, write it down and give it to them in a card, or send an email.
  8. Say the child's name! After Carter died, many people would not say his name. I think they were afraid that it might upset me. While it is true that hearing your deceased child's name can be emotional, this is not a reason to avoid saying the child's name! In fact, it is much more upsetting for a parent to never hear their child's name! If close friends and family members never say the child's name, they are acting as if the child never existed. That is extremely hurtful! Remember number 7? A parent wants to know that their child is remembered, and saying their name is one way of doing that. For me, hearing Carter's name often brought me to tears-- and it still does sometimes. And that's okay. These tears are not because I am angry or upset that the person said his name. These are tears of joy that he is remembered, and sadness that he is gone.  Please do not be afraid to say the child's name out loud!
  9. "I visited your child's graveside." If you stopped by the child's graveside for a visit, let the parents know. This is a good way of showing that you remember the child, and were thinking of them. Many parents may think that they are the only ones that visit their child's graveside, so it is a pleasant surprise to learn that others have visited too. An acquaintance from my church recently shared with me that they visited my son's graveside for the first time. I cried when they told me! My tears were out of joy--- joy and gratitude that they had remembered my son, and took the time to visit his resting place. As the years pass, visits to the graveside from non family members will likely dwindle. So, if you visit the child's graveside many years after the passing, this can be especially meaningful to the parents. Tell them you visited!
  10. "I remember that today is... the day your child passed away/your child's birthday." These are two dates that a parent will remember forever. Both of these days can be very painful and emotional. The anniversary of a child's passing can stir up difficult memories of what occurred on that day. For me, I have vivid memories of listening for hours to Carter's labored breathing, of watching him take his final breath, of feeling his body become cold, of holding his deceased body, of feeling the baby in my tummy kick her brother's deceased body, of cleaning up his body and dressing him for the funeral home, of watching his body be driven away in the back of a van. :( The birthday of a deceased child can also stir up difficult memories. The parent will think back to the joyful day that their child was born, and the hopes and dreams that they had for their child's life. Parents will also think about past birthdays, and how they were celebrated. While memories of past birthday parties are usually joyful, there is also a great sadness over that the fact that there will be no future birthday parties for their child. You can read about our first birthday without Carter here. Parents will also imagine what their child would have been like (their appearance, personality, and interests), had they lived to that birthday. A parent greatly appreciates it when you remember the anniversary of their child's passing, as well as their child's birthday. Sending an email or card on these days is a very thoughtful gesture that really means a lot.
I hope that this list is helpful, as you seek to be sensitive to grieving parents that you encounter. Thanks for reading!

~Wanda

6 comments :

  1. Great post my love! It made me cry at work...but that's okay. Very well done. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your support and encouragement. Love you too!

      Delete
  2. I haven't told either of you this but here it goes. About two years ago I was giving blood at my school and I have good veins and a good blood type so I was approached about giving platelets as well as blood. Unfortunately there is no way to give platelets from one of the outreach locations so I would have to go to the Red Cross center in uptown Charlotte if I wanted to give. I said that I would think about it and I went on my way. When I got home that night I was still curious so I Googled what type of things platelets were used for and I found out that they were used in cancer treatment and that they have a very short shelf life so donors are needed all the time. I immediately thought of Carter and decided to make an appointment to donate. I have been doing it ever since. In fact, my next appointment is tomorrow at 11. This has been my own silent battle to help kids like Carter for two years now. I think about him every time. I miss the little guy. Thank you for reading my story and I hope that you all are doing well.
    -Josh Wilson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing this with us Josh! That is so awesome that you've been giving platelets for the past couple of years. Just think of all those little kids (and adults) that you've helped out! Makes me smile! As you know, giving platelets is more involved than giving blood, so we really appreciate the time you take to do this. Thank you so much! And thanks for remembering our little guy! :)

      Delete
  3. Wanda,
    This was very well written. When we lost Taylen 7 years ago, people treated me differently and didn't know show to act around mr after seeing me for the first time after the accident. I remember that when I would mention Taylen or a memory of hi it was so weird. People felt uncomfortable by me mentioning his name and would not speak his name. I at the time didn't understand why people would not say his name but as time went on it was because the didn't know owmimwould react. I wanted people to talk about him. He is a member of our family and I will always be his mother.
    I hope that this will help people talk to greiving parents. I know that if you have not lost a child it is hard for people to talk to and understand what parents are going through. So I thank you for writing this and like I said hope this helps people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie! I agree with you- my hope is that others will read this and have a better understanding of how to talk with grieving parents. I remember when you had the accident and learning that your son Taylen had passed away. I cried for you! Carter was a baby when Taylen passed away, and I remember thinking, "I can't imagine what it would be like to loose my son." Little did I know that our Carter would join your son in heaven just a few years later. Nobody thinks that these things will happen to their child... but unfortunately, it can happen to anyone. :( The result of living in a fallen world! I look forward to heaven... No more pain, sorrow or death.

      Delete