Thursday, July 2, 2015

Our 7UP Baby



Dear Friends and Family,

On June 14th I excitedly shared this picture with the Facebook world to announce the pregnancy of our 7th baby. I had fun putting together this pregnancy announcement with Jeremy and I giving "cheers!" with 7UP bottles to celebrate baby #7. We were thrilled to be expecting this much desired little one! 




Our pregnancy announcement for baby Cummings #7. 


On Saturday June 20th I began experiencing some mild, yet concerning symptoms- very light spotting and mild lower back aches. Since we had plans to travel to Canada the following morning, we decided it would be best for me to be seen by a doctor before travelling out of the country. And since it was the weekend, we went to the Waxhaw ER. Thankfully a dear friend was available to watch our five kiddos, so that Jeremy could accompany me for moral support. At the ER they ran all their tests and did an ultrasound and found the baby's heartbeat. I was not allowed to view the ultrasound monitor/pics during my ER visit-- the ultrasound tech said it was their policy. (I was able to obtain a disk with the pics, along with video of the heartbeat yesterday!) The doctor said that the baby's heartbeat was good and that the baby appeared to be doing well. The doctor told us that there was a 90% chance the baby would live, since they found a heartbeat and my symptoms were very mild. Many women experience light spotting in early pregnancy and go on to have healthy babies. This is the ultrasound pic from my ER visit.



Ultrasound picture of baby #7 on June 20th 2015 with a good heartbeat!

Despite the positive report from the ER doctor, I had a bad feeling that something just wasn't right. Since I never had any spotting with any of my previous five pregnancies, I felt quite concerned. Despite my concerns, we decided to leave the next morning for our trip up to Canada, a trip we had planned for many months. We drove on Sunday (Father's Day) and Monday. My symptoms gradually increased as we drove. Shortly after we arrived in Niagara Falls on Monday, June 22nd I had some cramping and I passed two plum sized blood/tissue clots. That is when I believe we lost our precious baby. Thankfully, I passed everything naturally, and did not need any medical intervention while up in Canada. It was a rough start to our family vacation, but I felt better physically within a couple days, and our kids were still able to enjoy doing the Niagara Falls tourist thing.


After arriving back home, I had an appointment at my OB/GYN's on Tuesday, June 30th. They did an ultrasound and confirmed that I miscarried. Even though I was quite certain that I had lost the baby, it was still super sad to have it confirmed and actually see my empty womb on the ultrasound screen.


Jeremy and I are very sad and disappointed with the loss of this baby, but we know that he/she is in Heaven with the Lord and our son Carter. We will continue to trust the Lord with his plan for our family and the number of children we have. Lord willing, we hope to be blessed with another baby again soon! 


"Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from him." Psalm 127:3


 “Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me.” Mark 9:37


When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Mark 10:14


For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.
 My frame was not hidden from you
    when I was made in the secret place,
    when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
    all the days ordained for me were written in your book
    before one of them came to be. Psalm 139:13-16


1 comment :

  1. So sorry for your loss. We don't ever know or understand God's plan or timing, but maybe Carter needed a little Brother or Sister in heaven.

    ReplyDelete