Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Welcome!

Welcome! So I've decided to start a blog. I used to keep an online journal on a website called CaringBridge. For nearly two years I wrote about my son Carter, and his battle with Neuroblastoma. I enjoyed sharing about his journey, and found writing to be therapeutic during that very difficult time in my life. It' been over three years now since my son passed away. And over three years since I've written in that journal regularly. During those first few years of grieving, the fog of sorrow was thick, and I found it difficult to write clearly. I also found it difficult to share openly about my grief. And so, I took a break from writing.

I've recently had the itch to write again. Over the past couple of months I've read some interesting articles and had some deep conversations that have been very thought provoking. A number of times I've wanted to write about my thoughts, but did not have a blog to do so. Thus, the birth of this blog! :)

My desire with this blog is to write about topics that peak my interest (and hopefully yours!), as well as share about my life experiences as a mother, wife, and follower of Jesus Christ.

Back when I used to write my CaringBridge journal, my husband, my mother and my mother-in-law would often tell me that I was a talented writer. And if those three unbiased people think I'm a good writer, I must be, right? ;) I know I'll have at least three loyal readers, and if they are right, maybe even a few more. :)

~Wanda

4 comments :

  1. Wanda, I’m very happy that you are writing again and I’m super excited to see what you share, especially about your love, Jeremy!

    Love, Jeremy (Jn. 3:30)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being the first to post a comment! Love you!

      Delete
  2. Thank you so very much for posting this because we REALLY don't know what to day!!! I am in a place that I don't know what to say to a neighbor who just got a diagnosis two days ago.... the rising 2nd grader just got a lymphoma (Burkitt's) diagnosis and they are up at Children's (Levine). I want to know (besides intense prayer) what we can do for them... short term and long term. It would be GREAT to have some guidance from someone who has walked this road. THANKS!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I'm very sorry to hear about your neighbors child. :( Such a difficult thing to have your child diagnosed with cancer. When our son was sick, people helped us out in SO many ways: babysat our daughter, made us meals, mowed our lawn, gave us gift cards, brought over groceries, took out our trash, visited us in the hospital, sent us cards of encouragement, spoiled Carter with gifts and even decorated our house for Christmas! People were incredibly kind to us! I am so thankful for all of the help we received, we were so blessed. I would suggest starting out by thinking of a couple things that you would be willing and able to do to help them out. Then, when the time seems right, offer to do these specific things. For us, many people wanted to help, but it was difficult to always figure out who was willing/available/able to help with what... I just had too many other things to worry about, and asking around could be time consuming. I found it the most helpful when someone would email me with a specific thing they wanted to help us with, and then I could accept the offer if we needed help in that way. Does that make sense? Also, the family will likely receive a lot of help during these first several weeks, but over time the help may taper off. So that is wise of you to think about continuing to help them in the long term. I hope the best for your neighbor's son. What a wonderful opportunity you have to show them God's love during this difficult trial. I'm sure you'll be a blessing to them!

      Delete